Learning Lab VT is a year-long practicum that networks Vermont educators and students, who conduct classroom research related to the questions:
- What, exactly, are teachers and students doing in settings that are becoming increasingly personalized, and to what end?
- How might our findings be helpful to each other, our students, and our colleagues?
Below are some findings and helpful resources from past participants, a boon for busy educators eager to learn from others’ experiences.
Charlie Herzog, Flood Brook School, Londonderry VT Integrated Studies & science
Inquiry Question: How might putting the project at the front of a project-based learning experience increase personalization for students?
Reflection Post: This Is Really Scary (And I’ve Never Been More Excited)
Corey Smith & Courtney Elliot, Proctor Elementary School 3rd & 4th grade
Inquiry Question: How might personalization through self-reflection, self-assessment, and flexible grouping and scheduling across grades 3 and 4 at Proctor Elementary School positively impact student engagement and achievement?
- Episode 1: What isn’t working in the classroom and how we can improve it
- Episode 2: Choice menus – what they are, how we use them, and how the impact learning
- Episode 3: Intervention block transformation
- Episode 4: The students and I share how Throwback Thursday, our intervention block, works
- Episode 5: How choice menus work
Peter Stratman, Cabot VT 7th & 8th grade Humanities
Inquiry Question: How can a school-based jobs program—Cabot Leads—impact how students see themselves as learners?
Stephanie Zuccarello, Peoples Academy Middle Level, Morrisville VT 6th grade science
Inquiry Question: How can we shape Opportunity Time (genius hour) to introduce the power of personalization to young adolescents?
Findings from two years of personalization
Andrea Gratton & Kyle Chadburn, Orleans Elementary School, Orleans VT 5-8 Humanities
Inquiry Question: How can we increase student voice and extend opportunities for personalization through project-based learning?
Journal Article – Middle Grades Review
Deirdre Beaupre, Lamoille Union Middle School, Hyde Park VT, 7th & 8th grade math
Inquiry Question: What kinds of opportunities encourage students to go beyond “proficient”?
Learning Lab report